Sunday, November 6, 2011

Keep the Oil Burning

Noble November 6,2011
10:07 pm


After a long time, I stopped to take a much needed pause. I needed to replenish my depleting spiritual reserves. I looked up my daily bible guide and reflections from Kerygma.com.

Keeping the oil burning.

Let me quote some of the lines of Fr Brian Steele:
We must always be vigilant and keep the oil in our lamp burning. Every one of us has a responsibility to keep our torches (faith) lit with the oil (charity). By our good deeds, we will meet the Lord as soon as He arrives and takes us to Himself. The oil is the charity, the love expressed in faith through our actions. It would be a terrible thing to find at the Lord’s coming the door closed on us. Once locked, it cannot be opened. The great shame is that these women were there all along, waiting. It was because of their unprepared resources that they missed out. If only they had the resources, the joy would have been theirs to celebrate. Fr. Brian Steele, MGL

Just recently, I was tested in these areas. Faith and Charity.
I am so well acquainted with the advice to forgive 70 x 7 times. It means, continue forgiving without counting.
Mother Teresa of Calcutta encourages us to give until it hurts.
This is the part that is quite challenging for me. I was put in a situation where giving was already hurting, Admittedly, I gave grudgingly. Why? The item given away was intended for another purpose. The receiver somehow, did not listen to what I was trying to say when she was claiming it. Besides, I felt, I have already given more than enough. I was in a position of want or dire need and the particular object could have given me some form of lease.
As I reflected on the story of the virgins awaiting the bridegroom...I am once again piqued and quite annoyed, I cannot help compare the unprepared virgins to this person. She wanted to appear so in need of help and support from people around her and me in particular..that was not really the case. She was capable of providing for her needs actually and this thing she could very well afford to buy herself or pay in installment.
But no, she wanted me to share it with her.
She even announced it to many so that I would be in a spot and could not do otherwise.

That is were salt was really rubbed so roughly on my aching charitable bone or spirit. I felt, I already had given enough... and yet, I was arm twisted to give more.
I am just so human to feel a bit annoyed , used and abused.
I end my argument and annoyance with the following lines:
8 The foolish ones said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ 9 But the wise ones replied, ‘No, for there may not be enough for us and you. Go instead to the merchants and buy some for yourselves.’(Matthew 25:9)
I let go of annoying and manipulative people.
I claim my peace by maintaining my comfortable distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment