Sunday, May 15, 2011

PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION

Merry and Marvelous May 15,2011
8:34 a.m.

PROGRESS, NOT PERFECTION

This is the title of today’s reflection by Sarah Ban Breathnach.
She aptly quotes this saying from Anne Wilson Schaef:
“ Perfectionism is self abuse of the highest order.”
Hmmmmmm...
Such a liberating thought.
These past few days, I have been quite disturbed by the Good Morning America news by Lara Spencer. She interviewed a 34 year old mom who injects botox on her 8 year old daughter to remove fine wrinkles from her oh so young face and improve her chances of winning in beauty pageants.
An overwhelming response from FACEBOOK AND TWITTER followers rejected this as child abuse and an offense or a crime.
I could not believe it myself.
The photos revealing the mom injecting on different spots on her daughter’s face was really quite revolting since you could see it was such a painful procedure.
I am thankful, I am not so caught up with the pressure to be perfect nor do I pressure my daughter to be perfect either in things of cosmetic nature.
My only emphasis in the attempt to perfection is to be as faithful to God’s teachings and goodness in one’s ways.
But then again, I have to check myself on this ...since we need a saviour ourselves to do this. That is why Jesus, will help us if we just ask him and let him.
This Sunday’s readings and gospel is about Jesus, the good shepherd.
I thank God for the grace of seeking His voice in the busy worldly pursuits we usually get caught up in most of the time.
I thank God for the grace to be able to discern, if God is calling me to do the opposite of what I want to do in accordance to His will in my life.
I pray for this mom who is so caught up in the pursuit of perfection for her daughter, that she cannot accept fine wrinkles in her daughter’s face.
May she be enlightened to accept that life is never perfect.
Beauty is never perfect.
Man is never perfect.
We can only achieve it if we have the almighty’s grace and providence.
We cannot do it on our own.
That is why He came and died for us that we might be saved from all our imperfections.
Let me end by reflection by quoting some lines from the book Simple Abundance:
“Time out. Serenity 102: Progress, Not Perfection. First of all, I explained, the glamorous lifestyle gurus in the books, magazines, and television have full time professionals working for them, including stylists- stylists who wave magic paintbrushes dipped in burnt sienna over mud smears on terra-cotta potagers, before the flash pops or the tape rolls. “ It’s image, illusion, make believe. It’s a million dollar industry. What we’re seeing isn’t always the real McCoy. Now, this” I pointed out with satisfaction, “ is real, mud and all. It’s Real and it’s wonderful.
Perfect women do not manifest on this plane of existence. Celebrities who sell perfection are more to be pitied than censured, envied or emulated. Why? Because, despite their fame and bank accounts, they rarely know a moment’s peace, the whole world is watching, waiting for a misstep.
Thank you, no. I’ll pass. Won’t you? Perfection leaves so little room for improvement. So little space for acceptance – or joy. On the path we have chosen, progress is the simple pleasure to be savoured. Daily. Of course, perfect moments are sure to be ours, such as spending a sunny afternoon in May gardening with a daughter. Life and potagers don’t have to be perfect to be pleasing.


Very well said Sarah.

No comments:

Post a Comment