Saturday, June 30, 2012

My Religious Conversion

My Religious Conversion Nominal Catholics? Devout Once or Ones? Angelli Anne DL. Espinoza, Yahoo! Contributor Network I was born a Roman Catholic in the year 1969. Does that automatically make me a religious person? Does that make me a real convert to a belief system that traces its roots to Jesus Christ? Not really So, what does religious conversion really mean? Wikipedia defines religious conversion as the adoption of a new religion that differs from the convert's previous religion.[1] If that is the case, then definitely I am not a religious convert. I have been a Catholic ever since. It does not mean of course, I was an exemplary one all throughout. I had my doubts and questions and string of sins along the way. But, the real question I would like to propose here is...have I really had a religious experience that has changed me to being a better Catholic? I'd say, I am a work in progress. The rites of baptism and confirmation and other sacraments do not necessarily bring about real profound conversion. Our choices between good and evil do spell the difference in not so grand and outstanding ways often than not. It is choosing not to throw your candy wrapper out of the car window not just because you might be caught. It is choosing not to bring home some paper clips from the office because you want to respect yourself and others. Or better yet, refusing another serving of rice, not because it will look unflattering later, but because our bodies are not just flesh and bones but is also a shelter to our spirit. In 1976, a very strong earthquake shook my birthplace of Zamboanga City. The temblor made me realize that I could die anytime. Then what happens next? Thus, at 7 years old, huddled and shaking to the bones with my parents and 8 siblings at the bottom of our long and dark staircase..I boldy required my mom, who was almost panicky and in tears...to lead us in prayer... she refused. No one else wanted to volunteer. Each to his own thoughts of what just happened...and so, I said, "Let us pray..." and have always been the moral compass and crusader of our family There is the rub. Exactly spelling the big difference between being popular & accepted or a devout Catholic consistent to it's teachings and practices. Is that religiosity or spirituality? Maybe or maybe not. •1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_conversion http://voices.yahoo.com/my-religious-conversion-9095443.html?cat=34

No comments:

Post a Comment